Sunday, March 18, 2007

FILTERS I USE

In a recent comment I was asked this question,so here goes.

(1) show stocks where close gained more than 8 percent over the last one day and price is between .30 and 40

I use this to find bollinger band/volume increase/price breakout stocks aka as sq/vol/br
Please note, and this is VERY important, DO NOT use any volume indicator with this filter.
The reason being many huge runners go from tiny average volume to a very large 1 day spike on the stock's breakout and with a volume limit in the filter you will miss many of them.
I pull up all the matches and sort them by descending order of volume, most days using 700000k + as the cutoff limit.

I also use this filter with a date offset from 2 days up to 14 days and look for stocks that have gone down since hitting the filter.
Then I eyeball the charts and look for ones making either a FLAG pattern or ones that have pulled back into what we refer to in the chat as the MZ (muddy zone).This is the zone of the ema13/sma20.
To find some 2 day plus holds I use the following to find new 52 week highs beginning with a date offset of 2 and going up to 10 days looking for losers on the date offset filters and eyeballing the charts to find ones that have pulled back into the MZ and have gone green the next day.

(1a). show stocks where close reached a new 52 week high
price between 1 and 40
average volume(90)greater than 300000
average day range(30)is greater than 2
date offset is 2

Then on to the next filter

(2). show stocks where close lost more than 8 percent over the last one day and price is between 1 and 40 and volume is greater than 400000

I really like these as watches combined with stocks on the high dayrangers list.
I watch for matches off this list to go green from red on the realtime HOD list for best results.

(3). show stocks where the average day range(10) is above 8 percent and close price is between 1 and 15 and volume is above 300000

These are the stocks I love to trade.
I use one list per week,updating only once every weekend,2 minutes and done.Simple.
I load them into my watch list and trade them in numerous ways,off the hod list, going green from red,abnormal vol/spikes,hints of vol/movement in after and premarket that may indicate upcoming news.
Also I add a column "average day range(30)" to look for ones that are increasing in volatility in the last 10 days over their 30 day average.

(4). show stocks where fast stochastic fast %k(14) is below 10 and volume is above 400000 and close is between 1 and 15
average day range(10) is above 3

This I use to bottomfish and though a very simple filter has given imo some really good results.
I add columns RSI(2) and Williams%R(10) along with a column for fast stoch(14,10).
Complete details of this filter can be found on Stockfetcher.com on the Public Filters List on the Stockfetcher Forums under the filter name Fast%K Reversal.
This filter I mainly use for short swing trades.

And the best for last (for me):

(5). THE LIVE INTRADAY STREAMING HOD LIST FROM SCOTTRADE.
Not a filter or a scan but this is most awesome tool I use.
I know a ton of former runners and I can catch them very early many times in the start of their run.
I am not connected in any way with them other than a customer.
In fact I have a few gripes with them that they haven't ever emailed me back on.
It's just that the constant rolling hod list rocks for me and I haven't yet found another broker that offers it.
You can see what this rolling hod list looks like if you go up to the search box and type in "market movers"


You can change the volume and price in any of the filters to fit your personal tastes.
Please note on filter #1,the gained more than 8% momo filter I use a price down to .30.
Most times this will include otcbb and some pinksheets.
Understand I've been trading/watching stocks and markets for 43 years since the age of 15 and I have a tolerance for risk that is off the charts.
I'm very very careful trying to put the odds in my favor in the risk/reward department.
I have extreme confidence in what I do when it comes to trading.
If you are newer to trading please stay away from these lower priced and otcbb/pinks.
Stick with the price range you feel most comfortable with in these filters.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

once again this has been a fun read........and i can tell you talored this answer for me... thanks muddy Seq

Anonymous said...

Regarding filter #4 the fast stoch %k reversal.

On day/days after some market downturn you will get way too many matches.
So how I deal with this is I keep upping the average day range(10)from the preset 3% until I get around 20 matches or under,a manageable list.
For myself,because I love the higher day rangers,this works great in narrowing down the field.

An example is Tues 3/13 with a DR3% you get 118 matches.
By moving up the DR% one by one to get to under 20 matches when you reach 8% you get 16,the exact same DR % that I use to determine my above average % DR's in my DR filter.

So now it looks like this:

show stocks where fast stochastic fast %k(14) is below 10 and volume is above 400000 and close is between 1 and 15 and date offset is 3/13/07
average day range(10) is above 8

It just so happens that it is one of the most awesome lists with a 3 day offset I've ever seen.
16 matches
11 matches in double digits
Matches with gains of 32 44 73 91 and 175%
Average 3 day port gain 29.36%
Not all banks either,an energy,airline,and 2 pharma's make up the double digit gainers.

Anonymous said...

Muddy,
Thanks for the filters. I like the dogs, and it seems your wife, Laura is involved in the trading. The Scottrade HOD is a service of the Scottrade Elite account, I suspect. At present I have a basic account. The mental list of 'past runners', perhaps sometime you might post some of them.
Niagara

Anonymous said...

The HOD list is included with the basic scott service,in fact although I can use the elite service I don't,I use only the basic.
If you use the search box and type in "market movers" there is a snapshot of what it looks like.

The thing with my list of "past runners" is I have probably at least a couple hundred in my head,too many to list.
You will start to find your own by watching the HOD list and doing as I did,scanning almost every night for stocks that have gained 8%+ and then charting them to see if they have a history of nice bigger sized white candles in their chart.
Write down the ones you find and go over the list every so often until you start to remember them,then when these hit the HOD with abnormal up volume you'll be "ready".
I'd suggest a good way to start out with a list of probably around 100 is to search box "day rangers" and you'll find alot of lists I've put up in the past.
Chart those,I'll bet you'll find stocks with nice bigger white candles in many of their charts.

I've also found that it pays to go to http://lowfloat.com/ every few weeks and get an update on the "low floaters" if you don't mind a little looser spread and a little wilder action,ha
Just beware that although these can FLY up fast they can come back fast from their HOD's.
You need to watch closely and obey your stops.

Anonymous said...

Muddy,
Thanks for the reply. I have found Scottrader 4.0 you refer to, and the market mover list, which I think is the HOD list you talk about.
There seems to be three forms of Scottrade. One is the web based trade Scottrade.com. And then inside that there is a link to Scottrader which is java based, and then there is Scottrade Elite where you need 25000 dollars to use. The Scottrade Elite has something which might be of interest which is TradeIdeas where you can tick off different alert categories. There is a downloadable video you can download.
I played one from your list which seemed to be 'running', and sure enough it ran again today. Up 80 bucks.
Thanks,
Niagara

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have noticed that you have not listed 'Muddys filter' here. I believe his was the filter that you have mentioned on Yahoo groups in past.

SHOW STOCKS WHERE CLOSE HAS BEEN DECREASING OVER THE LAST 3 DAYS
AND AVERAGE VOLUME(90) IS ABOVE 100000
AND CLOSE PRICE IS BETWEEN 1 AND 10 AND PRICE TOUCHED (or closed below) LOWER BOLLINGER BAND(20)

This filter is among top 3 on my stockfetcher filters list. Can you please comment if you are still using that filter? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Rhoniel,

Yes I still do a fast scan from that original filter because I like ones that are down 3 or more straight days that come up in my fast%k14 below 10 and lost more than 8% in a day filter.
If you look at EVCCE for 5/24 you'll see although it hit the lost 8% filter it did not hit fastk14 below 10 at 12.33.But it did hit the "3 day down" filter.
So with its very high ADR30 of 11.89 being on 2 out of the 3 filters made it a good watch on green imo.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated
:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Muddy,
In one of your filters you mentioned that you trade them in numerous ways,off the hod list, going green from red,abnormal vol/spikes,hints of vol/movement in after and premarket that may indicate upcoming news.
Can you please give more details about each of the indicators you have mentioned?
What timeframe are you looking for these?

Thanks
Pal

Anonymous said...

Hi Pal,

1.Stocks that hit my Scott scrolling high of day(HOD) list.
2.Going green from red means the price goes above yesterdays close from below it.
3.Volume spikes-Stocks hitting HOD list or going green on large buy orders.
4.I look at afterhours leaders and jot them down to see if they don't appear on the premarket list.
Then in the morning I watch to see the leaders on pre list that are volume spiking on my trading platform.
Very important I watch for any last minute premarket leader hits as these tend to run a little later in the session as the late news hits the market with full force.

Timeframe for myself with these angles is almost always a daytrade.

silverstartrading said...

I was curious, you state:

"show stocks where close lost more than 8 percent over the last one day and price is between 1 and 40 and volume is greater than 400000

I really like these as watches combined with stocks on the high dayrangers list.
I watch for matches off this list to go green from red on the realtime HOD list for best results."

Does this mean that you use the High Day Range filter and this filter and look for matches between the lows on the HDR filter?

Anonymous said...

Yes
These would be the top watches.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Muddy for always trying to keep things 'tight'. Sometimes there's so much out there that simplicity is lost, but I always seem to find it on your site.

Cheers
*beer*
-Banana

chan238 said...

Hi Muddy, what is the software that you use for the filtering ?

Anonymous said...

I use Stockfetcher,couldn't do without it.....

http://www.stockfetcher.com/ui2/index.php